Monday, May 31, 2010

~ Remembering Our Veterans ~

I've read a lot of things in the paper the last few days about how painful this weekend is for many. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow of losing a son or daughter in the armed forces. To those who have sacrificed and to those who serve I am grateful.

Our neighbor installed a full sized flag pole in his yard this past week. His daughter has joined the Air Guard. I feel anxious yet proud for them. (But very anxious)

I remember going to the cemeteries with my Mom and Dad as a kid and watching the Memorial Day services with the 21 gun salute. This was a beautiful thing. The person that played taps played from the hillside behind the cemetery. It had such an eerie echo. I remember feeling a shiver down my back at the beauty.

Today I will post a picture of my favorite veteran. Dad served in WWII. He really didn't talk about it much until his later years. I learned that those who didn't talk about it saw MUCH!!

I've written about Dad before.... Rather than repeating those words I will just say that on this Memorial Day, Merlin Hyrum Jones was a man of honor. He was loved and respected by many, especially me. In honor of those who serve I give thanks.


No comments: